October Honey Show
October Honey Show
Every October, CBA hosts THE competition for beekeepers in our area! Paid members of the CBA are elligible to enter and we have many categories available so that even the newest beekeeper can participate.
The current year rules will be posted a few months before the show. In the meantime, you can view last year's rules so you can start planning for the next show. But remember, each year the show changes slightly so we can offer diffent categories!
CBA 2023 Honey Show Rules
Please download (below) to view and/or print your own copy. Make notes on your copy with ideas and reminders. START EARLY! START NOW!
We have several classes that are great for new beekeepers who may not have an abundance of honey or wax:
Novice honey is only one jar of honey
Black jar is only 2 to 4 ounces of honey
Baking and food classes
Arts, Crafts, Poetry, and Honey Jar Label
Lotions, Notions, and Potions often have small amounts of wax, honey, or propolis
Tips and tricks:
- Study the rules carefully. Each category (class) has its own requirements. Don't assume the rules for one class apply to all the classes.
Don't forget to include your 3 x 5 index card with each entry if it is specified in the rules.
- Make sure you have your entry displayed in the correct container (jar, plate, bottle, box) or with the correct specifications (thickness, width, freestanding easel), etc.
- Search YouTube videos for honey and wax preparation tips. Virgiania Webb, who has won many awards, including World's Best Honey, has several informative videos to help you get started. https://www.youtube.com/user/WorldsBestHoney/videos
- Search Google for "honey show prep" or "honey show tips." Here are a few great links to overwhelm your brain! https://www.easternapiculture.org/resources/honey-show-tips.html
- Don't wait until the last minute! Wax is tricky, you may need time to re-pour it. Go ahead and test a few recipies on your family. You can do your final baking on Sunday, the day before the honey show so your goods are fresh. Order your show jars early so you can go ahead and get them cleaned and filled.
- Don't be late! We are now opening entry time earlier in the day... at 4:00! Try to come early if you can so there isn't a mad rush at 6:30. Registering your entries takes time and we don't want to turn anyone away.